What are active ingredients?
- Self communicating ingredients that signals the skin cells to act based on the ingredient's purpose.
- They are in most skin care products to help show results and improve your skin's condition.
- Essential in making skin care products work based on the proposed benefits.(i.e. helps with hyper pigmentation, aging, brightening, etc..)
- Be wary of certain combinations or certain types of active ingredients as they have potential side effects based on your skin type.
- Active ingredients could cause irritation to your skin.
Mass produced or prescribed?
- They are present in both, but might be more concentrated in prescribed skin care as they are made to target certain issues such as acne.
For example: Retinoids help with reversal of skin damage and aging but prescribed Retinols are used for people with severe acne.
- Try to stick to one active ingredient at a time i.e. don't mix products with many different active ingredients to avoid irritation.
- Look for products that mixes active ingredients for you - don't try to mix it yourself unless you are 100% you know what works.
Don't over exfoliate your skin and last but not least, moisturize & sunscreen always.
What to do when reacting badly to any active ingredient?
- Stop usage immediately.
- Use hydrocortisone cream for relief.
- It should clear away naturally after.
- If not, go see a dermatologist for help.